Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Just the Flax -- Or Maybe Chia


Prevention has an interesting comparison of flax and chia seeds that you can find here. I have a stash of both. Actually my flax is in meal form, and I recently used it with water to substitute for the egg binding in a meatloaf recipe. The chia seeds are whole. I've had them now for well over a year. I discovered chia, ordered some, mixed a batch into a gel, and used it by the spoonful.

Essentially both seeds have similar properties and benefits.

But here are a few differences, considerations perhaps:
  - Chia have more fiber
  - Flax has double the B1
  - Chia has 11% RDA of selenium compared to 5% for flax
  - Flax has slightly more copper, folate, potassium, and magnesium
  - Chia offers more phosphorous

The bottom line is that both are good for you. The comparison lifted the glove for flax, but you can't go wrong with either and should consider variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment